Monday, September 22, 2014

Rock out with your Bop out

I have a confession to make. I actually like Kids Bop.

I know. It is shameful.

My mother-in-law bought my youngest a CD either for her birthday or Christmas, I cannot recall, and I promptly threw it in a drawer hoping my girls would not ever see it and want to listen to teeny-bopper music in my car. Obviously it did not stay there. So, in a moment of weakness I opened the dreaded CD and placed it in my 6-disk CD player alongside other kid friendly bands such as TOOL and Nine Inch Nails (I am a child of the 90s). I completely expected the voices to be awful, the music to be kindergarten-esque, and for my ears to bleed. I was pleasantly, and horrifyingly, surprised.

It is children singing, but these kids actually can carry a tune, unlike myself. The songs they sing are current hits that you hear on the radio. Music that an old lady like me can “rock out” to. Granted, I still prefer for Katy Perry’s songs to be sung by her, an 11 year old really should not be singing about going out to the club. The songs are edited to make them more child appropriate and that kind of throws me off, especially since you will find me singing along to the music only I forget to edit and will sing the original version while my darling cherubs are innocently singing in the backseat.

If I come up beside you at a red light blasting my tween-age music and I am singing along, just ignore my insertion of foul language into an otherwise a G-Rated moment. Although my kids are with me, keep in mind it is their fault I am listening to this. I have a feeling a lot of “cool moms” (is that an oxymoron?) are doing it, they just don’t admit to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment